When you think of healthy food, BBQ chicken chilaquiles probably don’t come to mind. This recipe uses homemade BBQ sauce, baked tortilla chips, and fresh vegetables to turn a typically high-fat, high-sugar meal into a healthy breakfast or dinner option.
BBQ Chicken Chilaquiles
- 4 large tortillas ( I use Joseph’s brand)
- 1 Tbls. Oil
- 1 ½ cups homemade BBQ sauce
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Slice tortillas into triangles and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat. Arrange tortillas on a greased cooking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy, turning half way.
- Spread half of the BBQ sauce in a cast iron skillet, or other oven safe skillet. Spread half of the tortilla chips over the sauce. Add half the shredded chicken and half the cheddar cheese on top.
- Spread remaining chips over the chicken and cheese layer. Top with remaining sauce, chicken, and cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- While the chilaquiles are baking, spray a pan with cooking spray and prepare eggs sunny side up. Chop vegetables.
- Remove the chilaquiles from the oven. Top with eggs, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and avocado. Serve warm.